Park Memorial United Methodist Church
Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Our History

 
PARK MEMORIAL
 UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
 
 
            
On January 20, 1952, the Community Methodist Church began in the Reynolds-Holston Canning Plant on Smith Street. Its first move was to the Park Street property purchased in 1952. The name was changed to Park Street Methodist Church in 1957. In the summer of 1991, after almost 33 years on Park Street and then temporarily holding services in an old warehouse building on South Three Notch Street for just over a year, Park Memorial United Methodist Church held its first service in its present location at 750 Elba Highway on September 27, 1992. In 2001, a new addition was approved, and the Claudia Crosby Family Life Center was added to the church’s facilities.
  
Since its beginning in 1952, the church’s membership has swelled to over 700 members. Besides Sunday School, two worship
 
  services are held each Sunday morning, one at 8:30 a.m.
  and one at 11:00 a.m. 
 
  The list of pastors called to serve the church include Rev.
  William Griggs (1952), Rev. Thomas Sowell (1954), Rev.
  P.A. Lynch (1955), Rev. Ray Lane (1957), Rev. Bill Rhoads
  (1958), Rev. Joe Bates (1960), Rev. Bob Cruikshank (1962),
  Rev. Rayburn Waller (1963), Rev. Perry Dalton (1966),
 
Rev. Gerald Maddox (1968) , Rev. Jim Posey (1973) , Rev. James A. Belcher (1978), Rev. William A. Parsons (1982) , and Rev. Bill Leavins (1987) and Rev. Steve Rascoe (1994).  Reverend Danny R. Arnold
and his wife Alice served our Park family from June of 2008 until his retirement June 30, 2021. 
 
We are happy to welcome our new pastor, Sara Shaver to Park Memorial as of July 1, 2021 and look forward to exciting days of ministry ahead.  Kathy Kirkpatrick serves as Director of Children's Ministries which includes our Preschool and Elementary children. 
We are also blessed to have Edith Synco serving as Choir Director and Scott Sexton as church organist.